|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||101|
and Catharine (Sharbaugh) Latterner, Michael Latterner being a native of France, and having emigrated to Loretto, this county, where he followed the business of tailoring. Their marriage has been blessed in the birth of the following children: J. B. Denny; Michael R., who died in Altoona in 1894 at the age of thirty-two years; Wm. C., a carpenter, now in the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad company at Altoona; Rev. Joseph G., who was ordained to the priesthood at Price Hill Theological Seminary, Cincinnati, Ohio, in June, 1895, and who is now stationed in Cincinnati, Ohio; Mollie; Annie R., who died in 1895; Edward R., painter, who is in the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad company at Altoona; Tillie M.; Frank, who died in 1890; Stella and Loretto.
J. B. Denny received his education in the public schools, and when fourteen years of age he embarked in the produce business at Chest Springs, after which he engaged in the merchandizing business at that and other places. On October 19, 1884, J. B. Denny was married in St. Patrick's church, Chicago, Illinois, to Miss Caroline V. Christy, of Loretto, a daughter of Dr. A. J. Christy and Mary (Gwin) Christy, of that place, and a niece of Rev. R. C. Christy, who was a noted chaplin of the late Civil War. Mr. Denny's marriage has been blessed in the birth of the following children: Mary Olean, Matthias Andrew, who died in 1887, Emily Grace, Hilda Rose, and John.
After his marriage Mr. Denny embarked in the hotel business at Loretto, after which he came to Ebensburg and took charge of the Mountain House, one of the leading hotels of Ebensburg, which hotel he has owned since 1888. In addition to this hotel, Mr. Denny, in 1890, purchased the West End
hotel, in Altoona, Pennsylvania, one of the principal railroad hotels in that city. He has been successful in the hotel and real estate business.
Politically he is a democrat, and has represented his party as a delegate to both county and state conventions. In 1894 he was the nominee of his party for the legislature.
GEORGE J. MYERS, who has carved out for himself a useful and successful career, is a son of John B. and Catherine (Myers) Myers, and was born in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, March 4, 1820. His father, who was born November 8, 1791, was a native of Russia, and his mother was born in Germany, November 1, 1793. They were married before coming to this country. In 1817 they emigrated to America and located near Williamsport, where they rented a farm, which they continued to cultivate until 1822, when they removed by means of wagons to this county, locating in the woods in Allegheny township, where they had all the difficulties of a new settlement to overcome. Here by untiring energy and industry Mr. Myers succeeded in clearing a farm on which he resided until 1837. He then removed to Pennsylvania Furnace, on Spruce creek, on the line of Centre and Huntingdon counties, Pennsylvania. He resided here for six years and again returned to Cambria county, where he purchased a farm near Loretto.