You are here:  Cambria > Books > Biographical & Portrait Cyclopedia

74 BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA

township, was reared and lived there all his life, dying March 20, 1895, at the advanced age of ninety-seven years. His was truly a pioneer's experience, living in that section at a time when the woods were filled with deer and bears, in the hunting of which he was an expert. His avocation was necessarily that of a farmer and lumberman.
    Alexander B. Pringle was reared on this old pioneer homestead, where he received the advantages of but a common-school education. He remained on the farm until 1861, when he took a position with the Pennsylvania Railroad company as a freight conductor between Altoona and Pittsburg, remaining in this position until 1864, when he enlisted in the service of his country in the late Civil War. He joined company D, Fifth regiment, of Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, in which he served until the close of the war. After the war was over he again entered the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad company as a freight conductor, and continued in this relation until 1873, when he purchased a farm in Summit [sic] Hill township, this county, and followed the pursuits of agriculture until 1884. Upon the latter date he removed to Conemaugh, where he has lived comparatively a retired life ever since. He is the owner of a large apiary, in the care and cultivation of which, as a pastime, he devotes much of his attention. He is the owner of considerable realty in the borough of his adoption.
    In 1855, he wedded Sarah, a daughter of William Barnett, of this county, and to this marital union have been born five sons: William N., a practicing physician, of Johnstown; Allison A., a physican of South Fork, this county; Harry B., a resident of Conemaugh and an engineer of the Pennsylvania Railroad company, and Charles W. and
Edgar E., engineers of the same company, also living at Conemaugh.
    Mr. Pringle has for fifty years been a consistent member of the United Brethren church, and belongs to Emory Fisher Post, No. 30, Grand Army of the Republic, Johnstown.


WILLIAM L. SHRYOCK is a son of George and Elizabeth (Lewis) Shryock, and was born September 1, 1819, at Hagerstown, Maryland. His father, George Shryock, was born near Greensburg, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, and removed to Hagerstown, Maryland, where he died in 1873.
    William L. Shryock was reared and educated in Hagerstown. Removing to Cambria county in 1839, he located at Johnstown, where he accepted a clerkship with Buck & Co., general merchants, and in 1842, in connection with George S. King and David Stuart, built the Cambria furnace on Laurel run -- a charcoal furnace. He was prominently connected with the above-named gentlemen in the furnace business until 1846, when he purchased Shade furnace, in Somerset county, which he operated until 1850, when he became superintendent of the Mill Creek furnace, at that time operated by George S. King and Dr. Shoenberger. He managed this furnace for them until it was absorbed by the Cambria Iron company. This company, recognizing his unusual ability in this business, retained him as superintendent until 1858, when the county furnaces belonging to the Cambria Iron company were all closed, he left their employ to become manager of the Indiana furnace, in Indiana county. He remained there until 1869, when he acceptted [sic] he [sic] position of clerk in the Johnstown Water and Gas company, which position he has filled acceptably to the present time.


Previous page Title Page Contents Image Index Next page

Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright 2000, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury and Diann Olsen