|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||71|
port, and in Allegheny county, on the Allegheny river, twenty miles above Pittsburg. At the latter place he was engaged in farming from 1840 up to the time of his death in 1847, at seventy years of age. He married Barbara Burtner, who was a native of Butler county, and died about 1862, aged eighty-two years.
Andrew J. Haws was reared in Butler and Allegheny counties, received a common-school education, and at seventeen years of age went to work in a fire-brick yard at Brady's Bend. Two years later he was transferred to a metal refinery, and a year later was put in a rolling mill, under Alexander Campbell, where he helped roll the first "T" rails made west of the Allegheny mountains. The Brady's Bend Iron company, which operated all of the above-named works, ceased work in 1848, and he acted, during the ensuing four years, as business manager for Dr. Gleason, a physician and traveling lecturer on anatomy and physiology. At the end of that time, in 1852, he came to Johnstown, and helped to roll the first rail that was made for the Cambria Iron works; and after having charge of the iron teams for eighteen months, resolved upon commencing the manufacture of fire-brick. He then formed a partnership with Ephraim Stitt, and they leased for five years the fire-brick yard and cement mill of H. S. Smith, of Johnstown. At the end of the first year he bought out Mr. Stitt, and when the lease was up purchased the works, which he enlarged and improved. In so doing he contracted a debt of thirty thousand dollars, which he was enabled to pay off at the rate of five hundred dollars per month, with interest at 6 per cent, through the assistance of D. J. Morrell, the manager of the Cambria Iron company. After paying his indebtedness in full, he succeeded in manufacturing tuyers, at thirty-five cents each, for
the Bessemer Steel mill, that were being imported at seventy cents. His tuyers were far superior to the foreign article; and his second successful step was in producing a superior silica brick for furnaces and open hearths, at one-half the cost of the imported article in that line. He gets his best fire-clays at South Fork, and his quartz at McKee's Rocks, in Blair county.
He employs four hundred men and boys in his mines and works, and his plant has a capacity of fifteen million bricks per year. His shipments are as far west as Colorado and east as Maine, while each year increases his orders from the leading cities of the United States. He was his own general manager until 1880, when he gave his son, H. Y. Haws, that position, and who, since 1882, has had a quarter interest in the business.
Besides his brick plant, Andrew J. Haws owns a farm of two hundred and twenty acres, which is heavily underlaid with coal. This farm is fourteen miles from Johnstown, and on it is Mr. Haws's stable of thoroughbred trotting horses, of which one has a record of 2.12¼, a second of 2.14, and a third of 2.10½. Mr. Haws is a man whose business capacity is of the first order, and to think with him is to act. His success is but the record of his victories over great obstacles in his career.
HENRY Y. HAWS, manager of the well-known and extensive Haws brick works, of Johnstown, this county, is a son of A. J. Haws, whose sketch appears above. He was born in Johnstown in 1859.