You are here:  Cambria > Books > Biographical & Portrait Cyclopedia


from which he was graduated in 1880. He had been preaching for three years prior to his entrance to Cardiff in 1875. Immediately after his graduation he received a unanimous call to the Welsh Congregational church at Fleurdelis, Monmouthshire, South Wales. He filled that pastorate for a period of two years, when he received a call from the Welsh Congregational church, of Sherman, Ohio. Leaving his kindred and native land, he arrived in the United States May 13, 1882, and immediately proceeded to his new charge, where he labored earnestly and faithfully for two years and seven months. In January, 1885, he was called to Siloam, Gallia county, Ohio, where he preached one year, when he was then called to Ixonia, Wisconsin, December 1885, where he remained on year. In February, 1887, he went to Cambria, same state, where he remained until July, 1890, when he went to Barneveld, Wisconsin, and remained there for three years, until October, 1894. In that year he was called to the North and South Congregational churches of Ebensburg, Pennsylvania, where he has since labored effectively in the "vineyard of the divine Master."
    Rev. Rowe has been very successful in the ministry, and during his comparative brief ministerial labors has had more than five hundred accessions to his church. He is an active temperance worker, and in 1892 was elected district lecturer of the Sons of Temperance for Iowa county, Wisconsin, and filled that office with ability and satisfaction to all concerned. In 1891 he was made a life member of the New York Bible society, and also a member of the American Political and Social Science society.
    On December 18, 1884, Rev. Rowe and Miss Jane Davis, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs.
John P. Davis, of Sherman, Ohio, were united in the holy bonds of matrimony, and to their union have been born five children: Jenkin L., Milton S., Charlotte B., Talmage B. and Margaret R.
    A true Christian and an eloquent pulpit orator, Rev. Rowe has done much for the advancement and up-building of the church of God.

JOHN T. HARRIS, an ex-alderman and ex-chief of police of Johnstown, and the present county detective of Cambria county, is a son of John J. and Jane (Thomas) Harris, and was born in Ystradgynlais, South Wales, March 29, 1843. He is one of a family of twelve boys and one girl. Two besides him, Morgan and Louis, emigrated to this country in 1861, and after saving sufficient money sent for his parents and the balance of the family.
    John T. Harris was a miner by occupation, and came of reputable ancestors in Wales, where the Harris family has reputation and existence stretching back for centuries into the past. Mr. John J. Harris came in 1863 to Johnstown, where he died August 3, 1880, aged sixty-four years and five months. His widow passed away January 17, 1889, at sixty-seven years of age. They were both members of the Methodist Calvinistic church, and two of their sons served in the Union service, Morgan in the navy, Louis in the heavy artillery. Both were in the service when their parents arrived in the country.
    John T. Harris was reared in Wales until his eighteenth year, and then, in 1861, took passage on a sailing vessel, the "Resolute," Captain Freeman, which was forty-two days in reaching the United States. After a short stay at New York city, he came to Johnstown, which has been his place of residence

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Index Next page

Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright 2000, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury and Diann Olsen