|66||BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA|
of the South Fork water-works, in whose construction he took an active part. In his own line of work he does a good business, having about all the contracting and building of South Fork, besides having many orders and contracts from a distance to fill. His planing mill is a first-class building of its kind, being 32 by 60 feet in dimensions, and two stories high. His plant is located in the western part of South Fork, and gives steady employment to about fifteen men. At the present time he furnishes from his mill and yards lime, brick, lumber, and all other house-building supplies.
Mr. Murphy is in the very matured prime of his life, and has before him a long and promising business career, if past energy and enterprise are to be accepted as manifestations of future success.
JOHN T. LONG, an enterprising contractor and building and manufacturer of building supplies, of Summerhill, this county, is a son of Joseph and Barbara (Schwab) Long, and was born in Cambria township, this county, in 1848.
He located in the town of Somerset, where he resided about two years, and then came to Johnstown, where, with his small accumulations, he purchased property and remained about six months. He then purchased a tract of land on the border line of Cambria and Summerhill townships, in 1818, moved upon it and lived there the remainder of his life, dying February 22, 1852, at the age of seventy-five years. He became naturalized in 1820, and at once identified himself with the old-time Whig party.
He was justly entitled to rank as one of the very first pioneer settlers of the county, settling where he died at a time when it was a dense wilderness he served on the first jury that ever tried a criminal case in Cambria county. He was a man of considerable genius, possessed more than ordinary musical talent; was a composer of music and sang in the Loretto church choir. He had married before coming to this county, and was the father of four sons: John, deceased; Joseph, father; Anthony, deceased, and Peter, deceased.
Joseph Long, father, was born in Switzerland, December 14, 1808, and died on his farm in Cambria township, November 3, 1883. At the time of his death he resided on the old Long homestead, where he had lived since 1818. As a farmer, he was industrious and successful and accumulated a very handsome competency before his death.
He married Miss Barbara Schwab, a native of Baden, Germany, and to this marital relation were born three sons and four daughters as follows: Peter, a farmer on the old homestead; Joseph, a farmer of Croyle township; Maria, wife of Peter Strittmatter, of Carroll township; Barbara, wife of Paul Yahner, a farmer and justice of the peace of Elder township; Christina, deceased was the wife of