|38||BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA|
Mr. Fulton was carefully educated in Erasmus Smith's school, a high school, and at Ardtrea Classical seminary, Ireland. He studied civil engineering in Dublin, and was employed in the construction of the Midland Railroad from Dublin to Galway, this being his first professional work. In 1848 he came to America with his father, and began his professional career by superintending the work in the completion of the old North Branch canal, Pennsylvania. This lasted from 1848 to 1852. From 1852 to 1854 he was assistant in the construction of the Junction canal, which connected the Pennsylvania system of canals with the New York system. For the next two years he was assistant engineer of the Barclay Railroad, in Bradford county, Pennsylvania, and from 1856 to 1874 was resident civil and mining engineer of the Huntingdon and Broad Top Railroad and Coal company, and from 1870 to 1873 he was chief engineer for the Pennsylvania Railroad company, of the Bedford and Bridgeport Railroad under the Pennsylvania Railroad company. In 1874 he came to Johnstown, and until 1887 was general mining engineer of the Cambria Iron company.
He was general superintendent of the Cambria Iron company from 1887 to 1888, and general manager of the company from 1888 to 1892. On account of failing health and requiring more out-door exercise he was, upon the advice of his physician, relieved from the service of the company in 1893. During the second geological survey of Pennsylvania he was assistant geologist, reporting on Cambria and Somerset counties under Prof. J. P. Lesley.
Now (1896) he pursues the occupation of mining engineer, and also has a half interest in a coke manufacturing plant in the
Connellsville coal and coke region. He is a member of the American Institute of Mining Engineers and of the American Philosophical society of Philadelphia. He is the author of a treatise on the manufacture of coke, comprising about three hundred and fifty pages and containing many important facts. He is also the engineer of the State Board of Health and Vital Statistics.
Mr. Fulton is a member of the Board of Trade of Johnstown, before which body he delivered an address setting forth the advantages of the city of Johnstown as a manufacturing centre and a desirable place for all such enterprises. He is an ardent republican and is president of the park commissioners.
His church connections are with the Presbyterians, he being a ruling elder of the church at Johnstown, a teacher in the Bible-school, and an active, earnest participant in all church work, in this respect most clearly showing the traits of his excellent father.
He is also president of the Young Men's Christian Association organization of Johnstown.
Mr. Fulton was married in 1855 to Ann Mackay, a daughter of James Mackay, a man of "gude Scotch blood." To this union have been born two sons and two daughters: Maria, the wife of J. D. Ligon, an employee in the printing department of the general government at Washington, D. C.; James E., deceased; Thomas W., also deceased, and Ann West, who lives at home.
The best monument to the memory of a man is the record of his good deeds; so are the responsible positions that he has held and the work he has done the best evidence of Mr. Fulton's superior attainments in his profession and of his character as an honorable citizen and Christian gentleman.