|34||BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA|
mand at South Branch, owing to the approach of Stonewall Jackson, to Martinsburg. This was done with considerable difficulty. At this point there was a substantial iron bridge, the only one left by the rebels during their occupancy the previous summer. This bridge was guarded by two companies under command of Major Linton. On July 1 the companies returned to their old posts, Jackson having been driven from the valley, but his roving bands continued to wander up and down the country, pillaging friend and foe, and the Fifty-Fourth was kept constantly on the alert. On September 12th, Col. Campbell, with small detachments from companies I and D, proceeded to Back creek. There he was reinforced by sixty men under Capt. Long, and proceeded to North mountain, where he attacked and routed the enemy's rear guard. Major Linton was left with a small detachment at Back creek, and the colonel and his men returned to headquarters. Two days later the enemy advanced again on Back creek, and Col. Campbell, with several company detachments, returned to the support of Maj. Linton. Skirmishing was kept up until the 21st, when Maj. Linton's command, attacked by an overwhelming force, was obliged to fall back.
After the battle of Antietam the Fifty-Fourth was attached to Gen. Franklin's command, and later, to that of Gen. Morrell, when it was placed in defence of the upper Potomac. Upon the organization of the Eighth corps it was assigned to the command of Gen. Kelly. On the 6th of January, 1863, the command moved to Romney, where it remained until spring. On July 29th Lieut-Col. McDermitt resigned, and Maj. Linton succeeded him, Capt. E. D. Yutzy, of company C, being promoted to major. The Fifty-Fourth was
now attached to the Fourth brigade, First division, Department of West Virginia, Col. Campbell in command of the brigade, and Lieut.-Col. Linton of the regiment. On the 6th of November another reorganization of the command took place, the Fifty-Fourth being assigned to the First brigade, Second division, Col. Campbell in command. On January 4, 1864, Col. Campbell, at his own request, was relieved of the command of the brigade, and assumed charge of his regiment. On May 15th the battle of New Market was fought, and Lieut.-Col. Linton was among the severely wounded.
At Staunton the Fifty-Fourth was transferred to Crook's command, Third brigade, Second division, Col. Campbell taking command of the brigade and Maj. Yutzy of the regiment, owing to Lieut.-Col. Linton's wound, received at New Market. On the 14th of July the command moved to Martinsburg, and Lieut.-Col. Linton resumed command of the regiment. On July 18th, at Snicker's Gap, in a spirited engagement, Lieut.-Col. Linton was again wounded and entirely disabled, by having his shoulder-bone fractured, and on the 19th of September he received a third serious wound in a skirmish at Winchester by a grape-shot penetrating his arm. This confined him to the hospital until February 3, 1865, when his term of enlistment expired.
The command, after arduous and almost constantly active service, moved to Washington and thence to City Point. In May, 1864, upon the Third and Fourth reserve regiments being mustered out of service, the veterans and recruits were organized into an independent battalion, and on February 7, 1865, the term of enlistment of the Fifty-Fourth having expired, the two organizations were consoli-