You are here:  Cambria > Books > Biographical & Portrait Cyclopedia


in suppressing the rebellion. Preparations were made to have the command start for Camp Curtin, near Harrisburg, on Tuesday, April 30, 1861. Just at this point in the young soldier's record a bit of remance creeps in. On Monday, April 29, the day before the company was to leave, he was united in marriage to Miss Maggie A. Ramsey, at the Presbyterian parsonage, by the Rev. B. L. Agnew. The next morning orders were received to disband the company, as their services were not needed. A few weeks later the government had quite a different idea as to the number of men required to put down the rebellion. It is probable, however, that our gallant lieutenant had no serious fault to find with the governor's order at that time.
    Three months later he enlisted as a private in company I, Fifty-fourth regiment Pennsylvania volunteers. His promotions were rapid; he was soon elected second lieutenant of his company, and January 31, 1862, became adjutant of his regiment, and in November, 1862, he became assistant adjutant general of General Campbell's brigade. In January 1864, he was appointed post-adjutant at Cumberland, Maryland. Rejoining his regiment in May, 1864, he accompanied it in "Hunter's raid" in the Shenandoah Valley, and received a severe wound at the battle of Piedmont, June 5, 1864. Of his conduct in this battle General Campbell's official report says:  "The only commissioned officer wounded was Adjutant W. H. Rose, who received a painful wound in the thigh while gallently cheering on his men in front of the rebel position held by Major General Jones." He fell into the hands of the rebels, but was soon released and sent home to recover from his wound. He rejoined his regiment at Harper's Ferry. General Campbell's (Third) brigade was at-
tached to General Cook's division, and went with it in another campaign in the Shenandoah Valley, under the command of Generals Sheridan and Cook. Adjutant Rose participated in the battle about Halltown and First Cedar Creek, during this campaign. After his campaign his brigade returned to Harper's Ferry, and there he was mustered out, the term of service for which he had enlisted having expired.
    He returned to Johnstown, and resumed the active practice of his profession. Being a close student and careful practitioner, he soon established a large and paying practice, and became one of the recognized leaders of the bar.
    In 1869 he was elected burgess of the borough of Johnstown on the Democratic ticket (although the town was strongly republican), and filled the office for one year. He was induced to become a candidate by the folling petition, bearing date February 16, 1869:
    "The undersigned would respectfully, but earnestly, solicit you to permit us to place you before our citizens as an independent candidate for burgess at the ensuing election.
    "The varied and important interests of our borough require an honest and efficient management of its affairs, and we believe that a large majority of our fellow-citizens are convinced that the time has come when, throwing aside party feelings, they should unite in the election of a suitable person to the honorable and important office of burgess. We trust you will comply with our request, and oblige, yours, etc." Signed by the leading citizens of the town, regardless of party.
    Mr. Ryckman was his opponent in the election which followed. Mr. Rose was elected. Of the outcome of this contest the Tribune of February 26, 1869, says:

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Index Next page

Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright 2000, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury and Diann Olsen