You are here:  Cambria > Books > Biographical & Portrait Cyclopedia

12 BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA

being mustered out he was commissioned a colonel by Governor Curtin, and authorized to recruit a regiment of volunteers for three years' service. In due time the regiment was recruited mainly through Colonel Campbell's exertions, and it was designated as the Fifty-Fourth regiment of Pennsylvania volunteers. As soon as organized the regiment was ordered to Washington, D. C., in which vicinity it remained until the 29th of March, 1862, when Colonel Campbell was ordered to report to General Miles, commanding at Harper's Ferry, Virginia, and in accordance, with instructions from that officer, proceeded to occupy the line of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad from North Mountain Station, Virginia, fifty-six miles westward to the south branch of the Potomac, the regiment occupying the most important points along the line. In September, 1862, the forces under General Miles were all, except the Fifty-Fourth Pennsylvania volunteers, driven into Harper's Ferry and captured by the Confederate forces under General Jackson. Colonel Campbell retained his position on the line of the road and succeeded in saving it from destruction, although his regiment was the only one left south of the Potomac between Cumberland and the defences at Washington. After the battle of Antietam Colonel Campbell's regiment was temporarily attached to Gen. Franklin's corps (Sixth). On March 6, 1863, he was ordered to Romney with his regiment, and was there assigned to the command of the Fourth brigade, First division, Eighth army corps. With this force he proceeded to occupy the different mountain passes in that section, making his headquarters at Mechanicsburg Gap. Whilst occupying this position they were in almost daily conflict with detachments of the Confederate army and the guerrilla forces, which infested that section. On the 14th of June, 1863, Colonel Campbell, with his brigade, was ordered to New Creek to assist in the defence of that post, which was threatened by the enemy. On the 5th of July his command formed part of a column under General Kelly, which marched to Fairview, Maryland to prevent the forces under General Lee from gaining possession of the forts at Cherry Run and points further west on the Potomac. On July 16th he crossed the Potomac at Cherry Run and marched to Hedgeville driving the enemy's forces from that place. On August 2d, 1863, Colonel Campbell, with his brigade, was ordered to return to his former stations among the Hampshire mountains, where he remained doing active duty until the 6th of November, when he was ordered to Springfield, West Virginia, with his command, and all the troops along the line of the railroad from Cherry Run to New Creek, a distance of ninety miles, were assigned to his command in addition to his brigade. On the 4th of January, 1864, he removed, with his brigade, to Cumberland, which place was threatened by the forces of Rosser and Fitzhugh Lee. Here he remained until General Siegel took command of the department of West Virginia. In April, 1864, in the reorganization of the troops that took place preparatory to the contemplated movement up the valley of the Shenandoah, Colonel Campbell, at his own request, was relieved from the command of his brigade and returned to his old regiment. At the battle of New Market, May 15, 1864, he occupied the extreme left of the line with his regiment, and it suffered heavily, two hundred and eighty-four of its number being killed or wounded. After the battle General Siegel fell back to Adar Creek, where he was relieved of his command by General Hunter, who again renewed the


Previous page Title Page Contents Image Index Next page

Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright 2000, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury and Diann Olsen