GEN. JACOB MILLER CAMPBELL, soldier and statesman, is a son of John and Mary (Weyand) Campbell, and was born November 20, 1821, in Allegheny township, Somerset county, Pennsylvania, and died in Johnstown, this county, September 27, 1888.
His father was a native of Scotland, whence he emigrated to the United States in 1817, and his mother was a native of Somerset county. In 1826 his parents removed to Allegheny city, where he attended the common schools. In 1835, at the age of sixteen years, he returned to the town of Somerset, and entered the printing house of the Somerset Whig, where he mastered as much of the "art preservative of all arts" as could be obtained in a country printing office. In 1840 he took a position as a printer in the composing rooms of the "Literary Examiner," a monthly magazine published in Pittsburg. In the autumn of 1840 he went to New Orleans and worked in the newspaper offices of that city until the spring of 1841, when he engaged in steamboating on the lower Mississippi river and its tributaries, and for several subsequent years filled the position successively of mate, clerk, and part-owner of a vessel. In April, 1847, he married, and in the fall of that year abandoned steamboating, and removed to Brady's Bend, Pennsylvania, where he engaged in the iron business at the Great West-
|ern Iron Works. In 1851 he went to California, but returned within a year, and resumed work at the Brady's bend Iron Works. In 1853 he removed to Johnstown, this county, and assisted in the construction of the mammoth iron works of the Cambria Iron company at that place, and remained connected with these works, holding all the time an emportant and responsible position until the breaking out of the Civil War, in 1861. Upon the first call of President Lincoln for troops for the three months' service to defend the National Government, he was enrolled as lieutenant in the first company from Cambria county, tendering their services to the Governor, and with it arrived in Harrisburg early on the morning of the 18th of April, 1861, being the first company to enter Camp Curtin. Upon an organization of regiments, which was effected during the next few days, his company was assigned to the Third regiment and designated as company G, and Lieutenant Campbell was appointed quarter-master of the regiment April 20, 1861, and with it served in the Second brigade, Second division, under General Patterson in his abortive campaign on the upper Potomac, in the vicinity of the mouth of the Shenandoah Valley, and returned to Harrisburg, and with the troops of that command was mustered out of service July 28, 1861. Immediately upon|